Travel Story «The NZ Verdict!»
04 May 2006
Last Update 08 May 2006
We have slightly adjusted this page as some of our readers felt insulted by the nature of our comments.
it's time for some serious discussing, freedom of Speech: The Verdict about New Zealand.
We have been debating, debriefing and thinking the last couple of weeks and here is the hotlist:
Best tourist attraction:
1. Abel Tasman NP / if you really want to experience ultimate nature, escape civilization and pack your bags, an essential NP in NZ.
2. Te Puia, Rotorua / greatest mix of what the North Island is about, Maori culture and geothermal activity.
3. Doubtful Sound / the splendid alternative for crowded Milford Sound.
Worst tourist magnet:
1. Kaikoura / over priced whale watch tours and the chance you get seasick is extremely high here.
2 / 3 ... there is no further shortlist, it's hard to be dissappointed by NZ natural splendours..
1. Harem, Wellington/ in the heart of the city, mediterranean delights for a great price in a superb atmosphere.
2. Khao, Auckland / winner of Metro Auckland and with Pride, this is a dining experience for Thai food lovers.
3. Revive, Auckland / a health conscious food bar with a great sense of creativity and tasty smoothies.
1. Pizza Pasta, Queenstown / NZ operated and owned, it's a shame they don't let Italians operate these wood ovens.
2. La Scala, Paihia / they even hired grandad to serve their customers on a Sunday evening and you need extra patience if you order simple dishes
3. Broccoli Row, Nelson. / Undercooked and overpriced.
1. Nelson / no city in NZ is more perfect than Nelson, it has it all, mountains, beaches, sun, marina and even a small useful airport.
2. Hahei (Coromandel peninsula), the gateway to Cathedral cove has it all
3. Mt Maunganui/ seeing is believing.
Cities/Towns to avoid:
Best Holiday Park
1. Mountain view, Wanaka
2. FPNZ Great views, Te Anau
3. Russel Top 10 Holiday Park
Crappest Holiday parks:
1. FPNZ Rotorua / apart from nice Art Deco buildings, this place is haunted.
2. DOC site Arthurs pass/ You really have to look for a DOC sign to imagine it's a camp site.
3. Dargaville Holiday Park
Best historic place: Waipu / the intriguing story of the 900 Scots that settled the village
Most used veggie in NZ: Pumpkin, it's in nearly 90 pct of all dishes in NZ
Our favourite NZ animal: The possum / seems to be a pest in NZ, but we think it's a lovely animal
Most insects: Abel Tasman NP / sandflies even attract any kind of repellent!
Best Backpackers: Trampers rest, Nelson / their home made fruit bread is not to be missed
Best Internet cafe: Cafe Click, Auckland, only 2 bucks per hour
Best Coffee: try Starbucks in Nelson
Biggest dissappointment: Waitangi treaty grounds / this important site is not even Gvt funded.
Greatest asset: the NZD. / travelling in NZD for Europeans with EUR is a real bargain as you get almost 2 NZD for 1 EUR and prices are very low in NZ for a considerable high quality.
Have a great day
22 April 2006
Last Update 03 December 2010